Tuesday, October 31, 2006

there's no place like...Durham

was a few minutes early for my class last Thursday so filled the time by going to the Sharp Library inside the cathedral to return a couple of overdue books and pay the fine! As I entered the cathedral I felt a stab in my chest as I always do. I can't describe what it is but I always have to stop and think. And it always crosses my mind how lucky I am to study in Durham and have this amazing place to go in whenever I want, and that I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else. So after I took the books I decided to go and visit Bede. Having spent half a year at primary school in a graveyard every week as part of our history project, I've always found it weird and uncomfortable visiting graves. I can always picture the rotting bodies and bones underneath the loving wishes. But there was something comforting in visiting Bede the other day, something that just made me want to be there and nearly made me late for my lecture! However much my faith fails me these days, there has always been something about Durham Cathedral that takes my breath away and replaces it with warmth and love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home