Monday, August 20, 2007

Ann Widdecombe vs Prostitution

On Wednesday I sat down in front of the tv specifically to watch a program- which is quite unusual for me these days. The program of interest was 'Ann Widdecombe vs. prostitution'. I don't know why I wanted to watch it, maybe it was H House's fascination over Ann Widdecombe this year, or maybe it was just the ethical issue at hand but something made me note that on Wednesday at 10pm I should switch on. And I can honestly say I spent the next half an hour irritated. The MP spent the whole time running around the streets shouting at girls saying that they were ruining the living areas for their neighbours. She accosted them as they came out of the police station and told them that they should go home to their mothers or they'd end up cut up in plastic bags like the victim who's mother came to explain her story to them, and she said that no one wants to be on the streets- they do it only for drugs and so everyone should go home and sort out that and prostitution would cease to be a problem. Maybe it's because of my theology background that refuses to believe in black and white situations, and also that I don't believe for one moment that attacking it in such a way is going to bring an end to one of the worlds oldest professions, but I sat there thinking- you haven't once considered the background- the real background- to any of these girls. You haven't considered why they do it, how much of a 'victim' they really are and whether or not they want to give up. It's good money, tax free, by all accounts- why should they give it up? And on that note this weeks is on benefit frauds, where apparently, Ann gives the sound advice of 'get a job'! I rarely get involved or have any interest with politics and it's at programs like this where I remember why...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home