Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A*

This post is a bit late going up, but is worth not missing out altogether....the New A level. I missed the A* being introduced into GCSE's- by quite a few years. But I remember discussions about it between my mum and piano teacher (who was doing her GCSE's) and yet today it's accepted that there should be A*'s. They're on about bringing them in for A levels now. But where as it used to be 60%= C 70%= D and 80%= A they're now saying that anyone receiving 90% or over will get an A*. I wonder if it's me, slogging my guts out to get my A in RE that makes me go- but that undermines all the A's before. It's true results have changed. My dad got into med school with 3 B's which wouldn't get you anywhere near medicine today. But even so, I think the whole point of A levels, means that yuo should be aiming for the A. Also- it means the top universities are going to push even further. It's not enough to get onto some courses in Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, Warwick today with 4 A's. You also need to prove that you've gone above and beyond. Now they're going to push to only take A* students (plus extra curriculur) and...I just think it's going to become even more elitist. YET the government are bringing in all these new A levels, and shouting at the universities for not taking people on from all backgrounds. It's going to be interesting.... (article here)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home