Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Diana/Camilla Feud

At the end of this month the nation will be remembering Diana, Princess of Wales at her ten year anniversary. That makes me feel old! It's one of those moments that everyone remembers what they were doing when they heard that Diana had died. Brought up a Roman Catholic in England I guess we were kept away from royalism to a certain degree but I can remember my mum teaching us the family and who was who and who would become who, when walking home from primary school. Yesterday I had a tv programme on in the background while I was working who were discussing whether or not Camilla should be at this service for Diana. Camilla always was the 'other woman' and the nation, who loved Diana, hated Camilla. Over the years though they have come to accept her and are, I would say, happy for Charles now that he seems settled and content with his life. Charles has requested that Camilla be at the service for Diana but many have said it would be seen in bad taste. The opinions on this show I was watching were varied but I have to agree with one of the comments that surely it's up to the boys to decide if they want her there. Someone said it was unfair to put this burden on the boys and they might not feel like they can say no to her but they are 24 and 22 years old, William is heir to the throne, I don't see that if they say to Camilla- this day is about our mother, we'd rather you weren't there, that she'd (or has the right to) be offended. Or that if they say- please come with our father, that the nation should then create uproar because they don't want to see her there. Maybe it is the Catholic in me that says why has it got anything to do with us what happens? Or maybe it's just the right to privacy I believe people should have. But shouldn't Diana's memorial service be first and foremost for her sons- and anything offered to the nation, is offered as a remembrance to pay personal respect- not to judge who should and shouldn't be able to pay their own respect and support to the royal family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home