Monday, July 23, 2007

Finally finished!

The World's gone mad! or at least, England is, I don't know how the rest of the world are taking it. I can remember back to being 12 and my 6 year old brother being told to stop reading on in his new book because my mum wanted to read the book to him. So after he finished it (which didn't take very long) I read it and that was my initiation into the world that is Harry Potter. With the recent release of the 5th film it's been a huge week for all Harry Potter fans as the seventh, and final book was released on Friday night. My friend queued the night before her wedding to get her book and they were talking about how much they'd all read by the wedding at midday the next day! I've spent a number of hours with so many different friends over the last few weeks discussing- what's going to happen. Whether our ten years of guesswork is true. And there's a surreal feeling to the end of it all. And yet at the moment I feel fear. I'm not reading it until next week when I get home and can enjoy it. But there's so much fear of when I switch the internet on, when I watch tv, listen to the radio in my car- so many opportunities where the ending could be spoiled. Whatever anyone thinks about J. K. Rowling or the 'Harry Potter' fad, you can't help but admire the woman for creating such a sensation- world wide. It annoy's me when people harp on about the blasphemic elements of Harry Potter, and I'm far too accepting of everyone's beliefs. Harry Potter as a work of fiction therefore doesn't even come into this same category for me because it's not about beliefs. And yet the behaviour around the book- the eager anticipation for the arrival of it and the devotion given by all it's followers have amusing similar reactions to that of religion. Perhaps the difference is that this all has an end- and I look forward to reading it next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home