Saturday, April 07, 2007

Change in Stations

So what was that about Benedict being too conservative and a bad choice for Pope- changing the Stations of the Cross can't be considered anything but radical. So many artists and musicians have depicted the Stations and it was the one thing we learnt at school that made you know instantly that you were in a Catholic Church. I've spent two weeks at school looking at Lent and the Stations. My gut reaction to Benedict's move was, well this is gonna mess up the curriculum and every Catholic church around the world, and it's also going to date every piece of art making it that more distant and irrelevant to people's lives. I have to say though, that I do have some sympathy with Benedict's choices as well. I've always considered the Passion to start at the Garden of Gethsemane- not with being condemned. And Judas and Peter are a big part of the story as well. I'm not convinced by cutting out the 3 falls, or the fact that it goes from meeting the women to being crucified, missing the humiliation of the stripping of the garments- which again I think should be there. However, I do like Jesus meeting his mother being moved to after the crucifixion though- much more scripturally accurate. Doesn't really matter what I think though- it's been done!! Talking to Steve about it before the Good Friday service yesterday, he suggested we get moving ploughing all the mosaics surrounding the Church off the wall. It's going to mean a huge change in every church but whether it's one that goes down well remains to be seen. Something tells me it's going to be noticed more than JPII's addition of an extra mystery in the rosary in 2000. Old rosary beads are now outdated- but at least they can still be used. Old stations of the cross are soon to be that- old, with removing a place for anything apocryphal in the Church's liturgy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home