Sunday, March 04, 2007

An eclipse of thoughts

Tonight was another Jazz, Rock and Cocktail evening in the JCR. I didn't really get any sleep yesterday and have consequently sat for about 6 hours today staring at the computer screen and getting nowhere with my dissertation. I'd promised to ring home this weekend and so on the way went to visit Becky. Having just split up with her girlfriend this week and needing a shoulder of support I somehow found myself going along with her to the JCR when all I really wanted to do was curl up in my own room and sulk! Half way through the evening someone announced that there was a lunar eclipse happening outside, so out we all ran to have a look. I guess it was exciting to begin with, I don't know- astronomy's something that's never particularly bothered me, probably because it scared me so much when I was little. All around me everyone was talking about how unimpressive it was, and how it was probably better to see elsewhere in the world to England and it was at this point that I was drawn into the conversation. Someone else said that it was a great astronomical thing to see and someone else said it was more of a great theological thing to witness (?!) It reminded me of the film Angela's Ashes and the way in the film it represents an end and a new beginning, and it made me think about what else may seem so different in other parts of the world, and how things are in this country. And things in my life at the minute that are ending and beginning. And my degree. And the world. And then we got bored, and went back in to watch the rest of the performances!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home