Thursday, January 11, 2007

it's the place to be

So I'm not procrastinating...honest! I just happened to notice a little link on MSN this morning when I was loading up my emails that said 'the top 7 sexiest cities'. How could I not look at it really!? No. 1 was Galway....excellent. My obsession with the Irish is obviously appreciated! No.2. Liverpool- well you know- I do practically live there some periods of the year. Not a usual destination choice but as it's European Capital of Culture in 2008 it's become the new place to be! And no. 3........(drum roll please)........Helsinki!!!!!! Yes I know, I'm as shocked as you are. Was not expecting that. And so I feel compelled to give you what they say about Helsinki. The only thing I have to change is that you should go BECAUSE it's the Eurovision, not despite!
(also...where the hell's cafe soda?? and most of the bars turn into nightclubs..or at least most of the nightclubs act as bars in the day so what's so special about it??)
If you recall French president Jacques Chirac's scathing comments about Finnish cuisine back in 2005, you may feel a little sceptical to read that Finland's capital city is fast becoming a gourmet's paradise. But Helsinki boasts many fine eateries, including Chez Dominique (the proud owner of two Michelin stars), and Mecca, a trendy new port of call where diners are given a choice of chefs, but not told the actual dishes (luckily, everything's delicious). It also pays to look out for restaurants offering the 'Helsinki Menu', which guarantees mostly organic ingredients.

In the evenings, the city's hip young things see how long they can stand the cold in the Arctic Icebar (the record is 90 minutes), then head to Cafe Soda - a bar that transforms into a nightclub after hours. Need more proof that Helsinki is hip? The city centre is packed with galleries and boutiques, where you can snap up homeware and accessories by Finnish designers such as Marrimekko. Oh, and Helsinki is hosting the Eurovision Song Contest in May - but don't let that put you off…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home