Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Boxing (literally) Night

back in July I wrote a post called give me back my rose-tinted glasses. Last night I went out for Boxing night. I promised months ago to go out with Jenna and have turned down so many nights out this holiday simply because I'm studying most of the time and I cant afford to because I'm not working. Boxing Night is the biggest night out of the year in Wigan. The whole town spend all year preparing, and people come from all over for it. The theme is fancy dress, and as Suzanne said the other night, the girls in Wigan wear less than the prostitutes in Berlin, so a fancy dress theme brings out some interesting costumes! I resent it because it's packed, it costs an average of £20 to get into a club and you have to go out ridiculously early to get in anywhere. So last night me and Jen were in town at 6.30pm having already drunk a full bottle of something. We had an ok night, saw lots more people I haven't seen in years and Chris came out with us again (after I forced him from Saturday night!) which was lovely to spend time with him. Chris left just about the time that Jen's kind-of boyfriend turned up with his best mate. We pretty much left the club straight away and though we wanted to walk back to Jen's getting a take away en route the two boys put us in a taxi insisting a party back at one of their houses. The boys live in the middle of nowhere and although they insisted they'd pay for the taxi and one back for us today it was obvious we could get stranded easily, and what they wanted out of us. Jen said no we were going home and asked the taxi driver to stop. The boys told the taxi driver to carry on cos we were going to a party. The taxi driver ignored Jen's constant pleas to stop the taxi for about 15minutes and only stopped when she screamed because he had driven so far from where she lived. Now it's fine that she know's the boys kind of, and we're both pretty sensible. But if we had of been unaware of our actions (which after 7 hours of drinking is understandable!) or we'd had a drink spiked, or we hadn't known the boys at all, we'd have been in a lot of danger. It's true the boys were drunk, but with Wigan like it is, and the fact that having bottles thrown at your head, fights breaking out etc. is a common night out in Wigan it doesn't help when taxi drivers show no responsibility whatsoever towards girls when they take them home...as you can say I'm a little irated by the whole situation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home