Saturday, December 30, 2006

another world

When I was little I knew when I grew up I wanted to play an instrument in musicals. When we went to see a musical I'd spend half my time watching the show, and half my time entranced with the musicians, and how much they were enjoying it, the one who always read his book inbetween scenes because he wasn't required and the conductor who lived and breathed every note along with me. This weekend we went to Manchester as a Christmas present for me and the boys. Yesterday we went to the Bridgewater Hall to see a concert performed by the Halle Orchestra and conducted by Carl Davies. The concert, 'All that Jazz' featured hits from musicals on stage and in film, featuring hits from the Lion King, Dirty Dancing, Phantom of the Opera, Evita, the King and I...the list was endless! We were sat at the top and my feet didn't touch the ground by a good few inches. I was like a little child again, thrilled with the music. And during the performance I couldn't help thinking, whilst spotting two of our old teachers from 6th form college, I wonder what would have happened if I'd done that music degree and not the theology one. If I'd pursued my love for playing in a group and composing instead of struggling with the Bible and the Catholic Church! And couldn't help but wonder if I'd followed my music if neither my music nor my faith would be in shattered pieces as they are at the moment.
Well can't dwell too much on that. After staying over night in Manchester we spent the day today pretty much to ourselves. Everyone else went to the January sales shopping, and I went for a walk. I walked for about an hour thinking about life et al it seems to be (well it is nearly New Years Eve-I'm allowed to reflect aren't I?!!!) Then we went to watch Mamma Mia at the Palace Theatre. To be fair it was a fairly weak story line, reminding me of a novel I read last year. But the music...I can't even remember the last musical I went to see- that's how long ago it is. But if you ever, ever want to win my heart musicals are the way forward! I felt ill at lunch when we watched the news reports on the hanging of Saddam Hussein, which did actually remind me exactly why I do study theology, and the incomprehension at how a 21st century society can hang someone. But then for two hours I was able to escape away from the world I live in, into one that although I know now, unlike when I was a kid, will never be my world, is still one I'm happy to occupy for a short while!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home