Wednesday, September 20, 2006

one small step for me...


Went to London this weekend. I had a lot of doubts before I went but I went with the ideas of 'just accept' and enjoy. So had a couple of days to begin with sight-seeing in London. It was great to see the Aidan's crew. Very bizarre at the same time! They're all grown up, have full time jobs in the city, earning real money and EVEN deciding which newspaper they're gonna read for the rest of their lives!!!And yet it felt so natural staying in their house. The same cuttlery and toaster, the same mugs and plates that we had when I lived with them in Durham. However weird it was seeing this contrast it was amazing to see them again and sightseeing with Sarah just reminded me of our trip to Dublin last year.

Then after my couple of days with the Aidan's lot it was on to Slough for Camilla's wedding. Again an event in itself! Members of CathSoc exec from the last four years, all spending time together despite the lack of contact in the last two years particularly. Camilla looked beautiful and so happy and in love we were all wanting to find someone we loved that much to marry. It's crazy how much our lives have changed since we all met but with the joy Camilla glowed with we found it easy to relax and update each other on life.
On the Sunday I then met up with a friend from home, who's just moved to London, for lunch, which turned into a nine hour drinking session and catch up. We even made Mass, which is a privilage in itself for me these days, but I just had the best day relaxing and not thinking of the thousand and one things I had to sort out when I got home. London surprised me in a lot of ways. I was surprised at how comfortable I felt in the city, how much I found my way round without stress and being fraught! At how much more confident I felt with everything from chatting to friends I haven't seen in months to sorting things out and ordering drinks having made a decision, chosen a bar and walked into it! Every day I'm constantly amazed at how much confidence I've gained from my year abroad and although at the time I had no choice but to get on with it, looking back I realise just what a huge thing it was to do and how glad I am I did it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home