Sunday, November 05, 2006

My bonfire night


It's always a bit of a contradiction Bonfire night. Everyone goes, but it's about burning up Catholics! Hardly anyone actually thinks back to the events of 1605 anyway! We always went as kids, but when we were older it became, traditionally, a night to rent films from the video store and buy sweets! Last night I went to Grey College for their fireworks display. The last time I went to a fireworks display was at Linnanmäki last September in Helsinki. For Bonfire night last year I was sat in a Jazz club in St Petersburg. It's always difficult at the moment doing the whole, this time last year scene but I made the effort last night, kitted up in scarf and gloves and camera and set out. (only to find the batteries were dead in my camera!) It was helped that Krissy who I lived with for my first two years in Durham is up for the weekend along with a couple of others who were in my year. So we all set out together. Grey is the only college big enough to hold such an event and with the Cathedral as a back drop it's perfect. The display lasted a good half an hour and was made even better by the music they played over it. Starting with the theme tune to 'Pirates of the Carribean' it moved on to the Nutcracker, to some classic night club tunes and the best bit of the night- to Lordi's 'Hard Rock Hallelujah'!!! One of the fourth years turned round and said, 'I thought you'd be enjoying this!' and I think I had the biggest grin on my face! Completely random mixture of tunes, even more random that that was thrown in there, and the night was a great night, followed by drinks in the bar just like the good old days! Best bonfire night I've had in a long time. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home