Sunday, January 06, 2008

Lions and tigers and bears....oh my!


Majorly behind on my posts, and mainly because I've not been at home much for the last couple of weeks. So I'm going to start off with this story which is a bit old in itself now. I was sat in an Irish bar in Spain (yes I know- don't start!) when I noticed on the news a story. One about a tiger that had jumped a 12 and a half foot wall, killed one man and injured two others.

It caught my attention not just because of the phrase 'victims are in good spirits' which amused me greatly, but because of this issue I have with wild animals. I've never been an animal person, and sometimes am known not to be a peoples person either!, but there's something about wild animals that really freaks me out. When I was little I used to be scared of sleeping, imagining snakes in the room who could kill when I was at my weakest.It was a conversation we got into in Finland, walking through Nuuksio, discussing the 'worst' and 'best' ways to die by animal. Even now when I go out of my back door at home I sometimes imagine I can feel a presence of a wild beast (because of course lions and tigers roam freely in Wigan?!) I don't know what it is that makes me so insecure about it all. I love visiting zoo's and I've never had a bad experience with an animal, not even with something like a dog. I just have this inbuilt fear of being ripped apart by something I'm completely defenseless with. Maybe it's just paranoia, or maybe it's premonition and one day I'll be walking through some zoo somewhere and you'll see on the news about how some tiger/lion/bear/crocodile escaped from it's cage or how I was walking on my own somewhere as I'm prone to doing, pondering over the world and life when a panther or snake came upon me and you'll remember this post and think- well at least she's in good spirits now cos it's all over!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home