Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Gaz's party and musings on life

On Saturday night I went to the Owls on my night off...I know I must be mad! But it was for a welcome home party/late 21st for Gareth who's been in California studying for the last academic year. Despite trying to get in touch with numerous people we were friends with at college only a selection of the hard core group managed to make it on the actual night- a sad reality that even friends from three years ago now are impossible to get together for one night. It was a good night and good to see the others again. But ever since my mind's been plagued with life for us all now. We were reminsicing about results night for A levels 3 years ago. An awesome night (even if I hadn't got into the uni I wanted and hadn't got the grades I needed)- and one none of us will ever forget, full of talk of the future and how exciting it was. And here we are 3 years later, 2 graduates and 2 finalists, all single and no jobs. The future looks a lot less promising to all of us. The two graduates can't get a job and the two of us as finalists have no clue what the next 12 months will bring but it doesn't look promising. We're all between 10 and 15 thousand pounds in debt and are overqualified for most jobs whilst not having enough experience for the rest of them because we've been in education rather than out getting the hands on experience. The stories the same one I've heard from about 85% of my friends who have finished this time. Most jobless or forced into MA's to put them another £6,000 in debt. My CV looks amazing, I have good grades, way too much extra-curricular material, and a years study abroad, and yet I'm wondering if it's actually going to get me any further on. Looking back if we'd stayed in Wigan in the mind set we had back then, at least 2 of us would now be married, we'd have steady jobs and we'd be fairly content (we imagine), instead we've all grown as people, moved away, we can't hold down relationships, we can't find a job and we're thousands of pounds in debt...makes you wonder if it's really worth it all. Despite this cloud hanging over all of us we're all in good health and hoping to meet up in August with a couple of others from the old group providing those of us with part-time jobs are fortunate to get a night off, so we can't complain too much but must look to the future...and hope!Hope, pray and hope some more (for those of us with a shred of faith left!)

me, David and Jenna
no party complete without YMCA- go for it boys

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home